Thursday, June 23, 2011

It Makes me so mad....

I sit here and ponder the madness that surrounds the present debates about "to raise, or not to raise the debt ceiling", and I know that there is so much "pork-barrel" spending, so much unnecessary spending in the White House (all in the name of protocol or keeping up appearances), or so much administrative (or now campaign?) travel and related expenses that could be eliminated. So many expenditures that are unnecessary, and yet our own president isn't willing to let go of these "extras" to save the economy of our country.

He, who never served in the military, would let our service men and women, whom he plays around the world like so many chess pieces at his own whim, would see the military budget be cut before cutting back on the astronomical size if his and his wife's "personal" staff.

Our own Congress has pension and health benefits that will keep them healthy and fat the rest of their lives, although many of them are millionaires in their own right. All this, and all they have to do is serve one term -  yes, that's right just four years (the president only served a year and a half in congress) - and they get to have the brass ring HANDED to them. And, although I don't know what their going yearly salary is for members of each house, but I'm certain that with all the fringe benefits, they're making out quite well while they work.

The federal government is top-heavy with administrators, czars (and their staff), and various and sundry other private sector workers while national forests, parks and landmarks are having to let go of staff and/or face closing because their budgets are being whittled away. Yes, our children and grandchildren may not be able to experience these historic or natural prizes because the federal government doesn't feel keeping them staffed or open a necessary element of life. If I had the financial ability, I'd rather take my grandchildren to one of these natural or historic wonders than to any one of the overrated theme parks with their bright lights, exorbitant prices and crowded play yards.

Meanwhile, public sector jobs are disappearing before our eyes because of an economy which is bad, to say the least, but made even more unstable by the outrageous impact of Obamacare...you remember, the bill passed over a year ago?...the one that the then Speaker of the House told us (in one of her brighter moments) that we had to pass to find out what was in it?

Guess what?

We're finding out what's in it and even the some of the Democrats who voted in favor of the monstrosity do not like what they're finding out. It's so impractical, not to mention fiscally irresponsible, that big industries (I mean the really big ones) are asking for waivers because they can't afford the new requirements. Companies like McDonalds would rather pay the fines than provide insurance for workers who have to have a full-time position before they qualify.

And...while I'm on a role...if the mandatory "Ponzi Scheme" called Social Security is cut back (or even worse) cut, there will be millions of people without any income. What will they do? Fill the State rolls of no-income residents?

Imagine it!!

Millions of senior and disabled Americans citizens (that's spelled l-e-g-a-l) kicked out of their houses, apartments, assisted living centers, nursing homes, or adult foster-care facilities clogging the streets of our once prosperous country because they no longer have their measly, but necessary, government income. As I pointed out before, and I know has been highlighted by others, when it comes to entitlements (a word which is now spit-out like so much verbal ca-ca), we had no choice. The money was removed from our income, before we were ever issued our net income checks, without our say-so...except for federal employees who have their own pension plan which is paid for by the tax-payers, many of whom are facing untold of fates, some already, because there has been no CLR increase in two  years.

Others, like myself, live in dread because we don't know if our already scant incomes might be cut even more. I recently checked into government-subsidized housing which I'll qualify for when I turn 62, roughly six months from now. I cannot live on the SSD I receive now and stay in in the apartment I live in now. I've heard members of congress, political analysts, or talk show hosts pontificating on the irresponsibility of citizens who planned on living on SS when they reached retirement age. Let me tell  you something, big-mouth, arrogant, mouthpieces:

I never "planned" to live on SS. I had no choice but to file for SSD due to back problems that still are not corrected with two past surgeries and at least one looming in the future. I worked, sometimes jobs of men, to make a living so I could be a good citizen and pay my taxes. That's why my back, and other parts not necessarily the attacked by the aging process, are in the shape they're in. I could hold down a part-time job, but I can't guarantee I'd be able to work every day because my shattered nerves often keep me bedridden for one or two days at a time. So, who would hire me?

My parents planned for their retirement. Dad passed 6 1/2 years ago, but three years ago my mother found that their 401k plan was penniless and the investments from selling their house before moving into an apartment were slowly loosing their value. Although these investments are doing better, my mom is certainly not convinced that her own carefully planned and saved for retirement will be the golden years she had looked forward to. My mother is just one of millions  who have had to pack-up their dreams of travel and comfort because their nest-egg has been shattered and Humpty Dumpty cannot be put back together again.

It makes me so mad I just might swear, so I'll get off the soap box and say thank you!

1 comment:

  1. I can understand your anger. It's so unfair to see politicians getting richer and richer while the average citizen can hardly make ends meet. Although I don't like our President here in Cyprus, I must admit that he did the right thing when he announced, yesterday wages cuts for ministers and MPs.

    ReplyDelete