Friday, April 29, 2011

Friday: Is It TGIF?

 Last summer I saw the movie,"Eat, Pray, Love",  and was glad I accepted my mother's invitation to get out and enjoy! But, because my hearing is compromised, I knew I would have to buy the DVD when it became available so that I could set my TV for "closed caption" and read what I was not able to hear in the theater. This movie had quite an impact on me precisely because so much of what the author shared about her spiritual journey paralleled my own life to this point. As a result, I decided to purchase the book that the movie was based on because I wanted to read what Elizabeth Gilbert offered by way of her brilliant narration of her private thoughts .I finished the book last night and was not disappointed. I would recommend this book to anyone who feels the need to explore in more depth their own spiritual journey. 
With that said, I this morning settled into my recliner, turned on the TV and began my online routine. The first "news" flashing across my screen was the wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton. It was obvious from the number of onlookers that the citizens of London and England, as well as tourists, were enjoying the positive vibrations that overwhelmed the very eager crowd of loyal royal fans and well-wishers. While I do not count myself among this large crowd, I wish the newlyweds joy and the strength to fulfill some rather strict expectations inherent in the giving of William the title of Prince of Cambridge. May the love that radiated from their very being today only grow and have the chance to mellow in the years ahead. 

The next news I viewed was the damage of yet another storm and resulting tornado that ripped through the deep south of our country leaving in it's wake a path of destruction and death to a portion of our country that has suffered so much devastation in the past decade. Unfortunately, as I predicted over a year ago, the Mississippi River and some of it's tributaries are overflowing their banks causing another kind of destruction. Along the east coast, flooding in the New England area has also left countless families homeless as well as destroying buildings which housed stores, restaurants, factories and a multitude of other wage-earning enterprises. And, a while the state of Texas recovers from a series wildfires the cost of gas and products continue to soar.

Because these cataclysmic disasters have barely let up world-wide, the only  positive I can find is that as a result of this global destruction great construction in the weeks, months and probably years to come will be required providing jobs for tens of thousands of unemployed in our country Neighbors will be forced to work together to find the countess loose ends of their shattered lives.Time must be found to grieve, rebuild and re-establish what was lost, and citizens who were once strangers will find comfort in each other and eventually come to treasure the opportunity to bind together as they move on with life.  Maybe this is what is meant by the words of visionaries who predicedt that this time in history will see the end of life in this country and planet as we knew it...geographically, politically and as a result, spiritually. 

2 comments:

  1. I was devastated to hear about the destruction the tornados caused in the southern states of the USA. Bearing in mind the recent earthquake and tsunami in Japan as well as other natural disasters all over the world, I strongly feel that the human factor is the one and only culprit. The greenhouse effect and global warming will eventually lead to the complete annihilation of the planet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right about that, my friend. The problems of this planet, that includes political, are man made and the result of greed. When will people learn? Mother Earth is really ticked-off, and sometimes I wonder if mankind has crossed the line of "No Return"!

    ReplyDelete