Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Finding Center...Is Balance Possible?

Sometimes in life I find the need to step back, breathe deeply and try to find center again. While my life is not yet out of balance, it certainly isn't boring and each day serves up a tasty variety of joy and not-so-joyful. This morning I watched my son wade through a labyrinth of personal challenges and I sensed his frustration; I shared joy with a new online friend over progress made in a very personal aspect of his life; I felt an ache in the pit of my stomach when I got news that the transmission in my car needed to be rebuilt or replaced; and I cringed with disgust as I watched the afternoon news and found myself not able to accept over half of what was presented and unable to trust the other half. And this was not due to any particular media spin. This was in response to the surreal events that have bombarded our network and cable news channels these past few years.

Almost three years ago I became more politically aware of the people and events in my country and around the world. It took a great deal of dedication to research issues and listen to the pros and cons of the important events here and on other countries on this planet. My awareness may not be balanced, but I know what to me is acceptable and what is not. I'm learning to trust my own instincts without the need to justify the "why" of my views. However, I also have come to accept the responsibility that comes with these views, and to me that means listening to opposing perceptions and being open to the fact that we're all entitled to have and hold our own fundamental beliefs and moral truths. 

All too often these days I find myself extremely cynical of the explanations offered by the leaders of my country. Even worse, I dislike the fact that I cannot trust the attitudes and actions of most people of power. Some cynicism is healthy, it cautions us to ask questions and not be so quick to accept everything we see, hear and even feel. Anything worth acceptance deserves quality attention and a willingness to take everything into consideration and then trust our own intuition...whether it's regarding a personal decision or a political platform. 

As a result of my own quality attention to the important issues in my life, I have become aware that my views are as viable as those of anyone else. One of my greatest achievements in life was not just accepting, but taking pride in the fact that my personal and moral truths are worthy. Overcoming inferiority is not easy, but once the light finally goes on, there will always be someone at home, and that someone is me. And coming back to blogging for me means that I have returned to a forum that will allow me to share my own perceptions and then learn from the responses of others, something I now know is necessary if I am to grow beyond the person I am today.

No comments:

Post a Comment