Tuesday, May 31, 2011

That's Life!

It seems like every time I sit down to share my thoughts in a blog, the thoughts I had yesterday, the day before or even two hours before are predictably missing. So, I'll start out and hope something will come to mind as I clear my thoughts of all but what is essential, at least from a blogging view. 

Yesterday in my country we celebrated Memorial Day, and as it is also with other countries, we honor the members of the Armed Forces who have served in our country's military as well as say Thank You" to those families who have sacrificed loved ones to fight for and preserve the liberties we have come to take so much for granted. On a personal note, my celebration was wonderful. The food was fantastic, the company was perfect, except for the absence of my daughter and her husband, and the mood was one of blending and love. Three generations were represented and family-of-the-heart were welcomed again. During the course of the day, one of my favorite songs by the Statler Brothers, "Silver Medals and Sweet Memories" was playing softly in my mind as I thought of the members of my own family who had either made the supreme sacrifice or served unselfishly for me, my family and my country.

As the sun set on a beautiful day, I looked out my bedroom window and saw that the new flowers Jan planted in the ground below my window were thriving and that reminded me that this year I wanted to get my Topsy Turvey tomato plant set up so that I can enjoy this seasonal favorite this summer. Living in an apartment, I miss the garden and yard work I did when I lived in a house in the country; but this small measure will help ease the longing for one of my favorite salad compliments.

I'm not much of at TV watcher at this time of my life. Normally, I would have the Fox News Channel on all day, catching a bit here and there as I go about my day or sit in my recliner with my laptop in front of me. So much sadness in the news these days, primarily (to me) the destruction and death caused by the unpredictable catastrophes Mother Earth/Nature has caused, not only my country but many others around the world. 

Yes, this Lovely Lady is ticked-off! We have taken Her for granted, and too little too late "green" efforts have too often been selfishly initiated. Our government has promoted efforts aimed at what we can get from the Earth (solar, wind power) and all but ignored what we need to give back. That which has been instigated to protect endangered species has been manipulated by political causes, often with greed as the root cause and effect.

And we scratch our heads and wonder why: we have a national debt in the trillions: high national unemployment and local unemployment at record highs; available jobs are hard to find; the housing market is going crazy and demand for rental properties is soaring; more and more citizens do not trust the decisions made by our nation's leaders. Greed, power, and lack of accountability!. 

Sometimes I wonder if our nation's opportunities for holidays have become hollow excuses to take a day off of work to meet with family or friends, or just kick back and enjoy the day as we wish.While there is nothing wrong with this, we often get lost in the celebration and forget the reason. Our country has become polarized and finding center is becoming more and more difficult to do, politically, socially and morally. Yet, there are great signs of renewal and personal recovery that cannot, and should not, be ignored. Regardless of what we have stood for in the past, our options are becoming fewer and fewer because while we have slept our rights have slowly been taken away from us. We need more patriots, more patriotism, more honesty and more pride. 

I think back to what I've read about this country nearly 100 years ago when our soldiers fought in WWI, and then WWII. Would those whose pride took them to far away countries to stop the forces that might threaten our freedom recognize the country they protected when they signed on the dotted line and volunteered for military service? Are the changes we take for granted, good and bad, what they envisioned for our country? If not, why not?

I also think back to what I've read about the early beginnings of the Constitutional Congress that formulated the living document which guided the early formative years of our country's growth. I thought it was meant to be the blueprint for the future of our country, and wonder now what happened to to precepts set down by our Founding Fathers? Where did we go astray? What was the name of the Pied Piper who charmed our intelligent national leaders to create laws and pass legislature that has found us in this almost dead end road of economic disaster?

In the weeks and months ahead I'll be sharing my own personal opinions. I'm sure I'll meet with some criticisms, possibly denials and hopefully some well thought out agreement, but as the song that's been in my head today goes: ""That's Life"!". In fact I'd like to get some responses, any responses. That would mean that someone is reading my blogs.  

No comments:

Post a Comment